Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The long awaited post from Shanna

Korea is dope. So far my favorite things include:

- The variety of crazy Korean pops and juices available at the convenience stores. There is like a billion that range from lemonade to corn tea to anything else you could possibly imagine. My current favorite is Chilsing Cider—which is like sprite but better. And there is no regular cans here. They are all in slim red bull type cans. Something really small to be excited about, I know I know, but so novel!

- Everything is so close from our apartment. There is like 3 convenience stores on our block alone and they sell EVERYTHING beer, booze, wine, snacks, clothes, smokes, food. What more can I ask for?

- Cheap food! Dave and I have eaten out every night so far and it has only been $10-15 for both of us every time. Restaurants line every street. Everything is in Korean, but there is pictures of food and realistic plastic of models of food we can usually point to.

- Cheap smokes! Marlboro lights for less than 3 bucks. We went to the supermarket yesterday and I had realized I had left my smokes at home. NBD. Just cruised into the nearest store to buy another pack. Dave does not like this. He thought I might quit if I didn’t like Korean cigarettes. What a dummy!

- Heated floors. So good.

- Cheap clothes! Or maybe. As you know, I often don’t look at price tags. Everything is gorgeous. My luggages are going to burst at the seams.

- Bakeries! They have the most delicious looking pastries, cakes and bread. Presently I enjoy making dave buy me things from a bakery called Paris Baguette.

- Excitement and exploring! Everyday is an adventure.

Some things I’m not loving:

- My bathroom that doubles as a shower—ie the whole room is the shower and the head is attached to the sink. Balls. Shanna pang. Who would’ve ever guessed.

- The weather—its cold! Snow! However, everyone assures me that it will warm up in a couple of weeks.

- No internet, phone, or cable. Sucks. We FINALLY found a “transformer” that we can plug our North American plugs into. It converts the electricity down from 220V to 110V. so at the very least we can watch some movies and shows.

- Language barrier. It really wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t think I was already Korean. Everybody tries to talk to me in Korean. It sucks. Luckily, Davey long legs is usually kicking around so it makes sense to them that I speak English. Presently we are getting our Korean friends to help us write down stuff in Korean so we can find things in stores or take cabs to places. It’s really weird to just show someone a piece of paper and point. I feel crazy!

- Having a sunny disposition with kids all the time. So not my steez. Some of you would even find it horrifying how I can lay it on. Especially the school team and Michele.

Everybody is pretty friendly here. We have met a few other foreigners so far and they are super helpful. The other night we were looking for something and across the street I saw a white guy. So I tugged on dave’s sleeve and said “hey. A white guy.” We went and talked to him and he gave us his contact information and tried to help us out. I think he thought I was cute. Dave was jealous.

Yesterday we made our first trip to the supermarket. It was insane. A man is constantly yelling on the speakers. It was all in Korean so I can only imagine he is talking about specials. There is tons of fresh produce, meat and fish. Things like cheese, butter and wine are super pricey. However dave somehow justified purchasing a $7 mini jar of peanut butter. We are relegated to instant coffee for the time being. Lame! This weekend we are probably going to seoul, and there is starbucks there. Yessss!!! So excited to SHOP! It is also lunar new year this weekend so we get a four-day weekend. Sweet!

Hopefully we can post some pictures soon so we can give you a better visual of what we are up to.

You know you love me. Xoxo.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment