Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What's my Age again?

well it's my birthday. yes sir, yes ma'm!
I'm 26 years old..or am I 28??
Koreans have a different way of counting age then us Canucks.
When a Korean is born they are already one years old..tricky
trickier yet all Koreans get one year older one January 1st. So a baby born in December, is already 2 years old in January.
Even trickier still Koreans have two systems of counting numbers. Each system is used for counting different things. There's "Pure Korean" and "Sino Korean". 26 is a different number depending on what you're counting: "Sumul Yosot" or "iShip i". [and then there's cardinal and ordinal numbers that complicates things even worse.]
I got to the bottom of it and they count age using "pure korean" system.
So I'm now Sumul Yosot (Sumul Yodoll- Korean age)


ok. still confused?
I'll leave you with some sweet poetics courtesy of Blink one hundred eighty two titled "what's my age again?"

"..And that's about the time she walked away from me

Nobody likes you when your 23

And you still act like you're in Freshman year

What the hell is wrong with me?

My friends say I should act my age

What's my age again?

What's my age again?.."

2 comments:

  1. this was published in the future... it's March 11th here and cars fly and everyone dances "the robo boogie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birfday Dave! How are Birfdays celebrated in Korea? Is you gettin cake? I will celebrate by going to the eagles concert. Hope your day was great.

    ReplyDelete